Wednesday 23 December 2015

Finally a Block

Or Two...

The fabric cuttings from last week became a few (okay 18) black blocks this week.   Once they're trimmed they'll measure 9.5" x 9.5" (ish) but right now they're still a little ragged

And just because I love looking at a stack of blocks waiting to become a wonderful quilt...

 I've been making the blocks individually as I'm trying to not repeat a fabric within a block.  This method gives me plenty of enders and leaders.  These are the blocks that came a long for the ride.

What are your thoughts on enders and leaders?  I personally love them; I do a lot of chain piecing when I make tops and it feels like I'm getting another quilt for free.  A friend of mine has tried to embrace them a few times and she just can't.  She finds herself getting distracted by them and doesn't like all of the cutting you need to do upfront to have the piles of pieces you need ready to go.  Where do you stand?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Joy, I too like leaders and enders. Sometimes I just chain piece sections of a given project; at other times, I add in pieces for a different project...it depends what I have on hand to do. I'm not a Bonnie Hunter -- my stash is rather more scrambled! -- but I love the concept of her scrap-saver's system and the leaders-and-enders. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to use a leader ender, but not from a different project. Your extra blocks are just so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love leaders and enders. I cut pieces of flannel that are about 6" square and on them I arrange nine 1 1/2" squares cut from scraps. I keep the pile of flannels with the 1 1/2" squares beside my sewing machine. The 1 1/2" squares get turned into 3" finished nine patch blocks. I have piles of them and when I need a quilt quickly I can dip into my nine patch pile to make a quilt.

    Thanks for the nice comment on my blog. I wanted to email you to say thanks but your email address isn't attached to your profile.

    ReplyDelete