Wednesday 13 July 2016

Blue, Green, and Red Table Runner

The table runner is finally done!  This one has been basted for more years than I care to admit to.  It's even been partially quilted.  I had done orange peel quilting around the inner border of squares.  Then I got stuck...

I had visions of feathers for this quilt - something I *still* can't do.  (Though my practice pieces are slowly showing signs of improvement.)  In the end I stuck with the circle theme and quilted more orange peel style circles in the outer border.

The centre of the table runner was supposed to have appliqued holly berries but I thought it made the table runner a little too seasonal.  So I went with cross hatching; which turned into more of a diamond design.
Here is the back of the quilt and it's not pieced! <gasp>  This fabric was purchased 10 - 15 years ago for binding a quilt.  Back then I had no clue how much I needed and for whatever reason didn't think to figure it out before buying.  I bought a little *way* too much and have used this fabric in many quilts since.  (Good thing I really like it)  I'm actually getting to the end of this fabric and feeling a little sad - it's been such a loyal contributor to several favourite quilts.

Here is a close-up of the back.  I think it shows the quilting I was attempting to describe a little better.

Do you have quilts that sit partially quilted?  Or once you start the quilting process, does it just flow?

Linked up with Sew Fresh Quilts - Let's Bee Social and The Needle and Thread Network - WIP Wednesday.

3 comments:

  1. Isn't it a wonderful feeling to cross something off the WIP list! I got a new sewing machine for my birthday and I really do hope to learn some basic free motion quilting this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you made a great choice with cross hatching rather than the holly berries. I like the way you've quilted it.

    I rarely stop quilting something part-way through (because I rarely do my own quilting)... however, I do get stuck at the "flimsy" stage. I finish the quilt top and let it sit for months (years?) and hope that I might be motivated to quilt it myself.

    It's a beautiful runner. Thanks for sharing your experience on The Needle & Thread Network's WIP Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your finish! Love your quilting! The orange peels are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete