Monday 29 February 2016

OMG - February Finish

I was so excited about finishing the Estonian Flag Quilt that I almost forgot about my February quilting goal.  Fortunately I'd thought small for this month and was able to squeak it in.

This quilt is a mini; made from a circa 1934 charm pack along with a fat quarter for the binding.  I started making miniature quilts ages ago as a way to practice machine quilting - it was the only way I moved beyond stitch in the ditch and stippling.  While I'm felling more comfortable with my quilting skills these days, these little quilts are wonderful to play with and test out new ideas.

Lately, I've been playing with HSTs (Half-Square Triangles), there are so many patterns you can create from such a simple block.  This one was an experiment with colour.  Conventional wisdom says colour doesn't matter and you need to pay attention to value.  However with this quilt, I made red and black zig-zags and many of the red and black triangles are light in value compared to the background triangles.  I was curious if the zig-zags would still show up even though I broke the value rule.


Here is the back of the quilt.  To give you an idea of the scale of this quilt - it is pieced from whole charm squares (leftovers) that weren't needed for the front.  I love that little typewriter in the middle square and spent way too long trying to figure out how to make it work for the front.


And a close-up of the quilting...  While I've done lots of pebbling, I'd never tried just a row before - It's been such a cool element on so many quilts I've admired.  I hoped it would help emphasize the zig-zags.

To see how everyone else did with their OMG goals, check out Red Letter Quilts OMG - February Finish link up.

5 comments:

  1. This is a cute little quilt. Great fabric choice and beautiful quilting! Congratulations on meeting your OMG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you quilted this darling little quilt! I can't wait to see it :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I also love to play with value and test the rules:) Check out the quilt I made my DH a couple years ago!
    http://redletterquilts.blogspot.com/2013/11/crazy-for-boys.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good on you meeting February's goal! I love the quilting in this too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lovely finish! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete